Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Michael Recycle and Earth Day math!

Earth Day is almost here! I thought about this one day as I was recycling my milk jugs and water bottles. I thought these caps could be used as good math manipulatives! IDEA sparks shooting out everywhere....then dollar store trip. I made two math stations to use with my Michael Recycle lieracy unit.  I couldn't stop there so I made 5 math journal word problems....my students LOVED these! I really enjoy using literature as my hook....what do you use to get your students engaged?
First, I collect so many caps....whoa that's a lot! 



This  math station is using part part whole stragegy. I used, or should I say, reused water bottle caps as counters...amazing results with my struggling math students. 
 Here are the containers I purchased for these stations...which I will reuse for other stations too:)


I really like this station....because it looks like real recycling bins.  I put out more caps for counters.  This was a favorite! you can see this math unit and my other Earth Day unit at my tpt store...just click the button or brose my store right from this blog :)
Thank you for stopping by! Happy Earth Day!

2 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea! Definitely a great way to reuse materials we'd normally just throw away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!! My students LOVE using these bottle caps...even the bottles...as counters. They would rather use these reusable household items over the fancy store bought counters and other math manipulatives! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete